Finding Yourself with Shared Custody of Your Children
Oct. 23, 2023
If you’re finding yourself with shared custody of your children, here are some key things to consider so you can optimize time with your kids:
- Keep it simple. Lunch dates and intentional conversations about what’s going on in their lives can carry more weight than extravagant trips or events.
- Remain undistracted. Putting away your phone and not fielding work calls during your time with your kids will make them feel as though they are important, especially as their lives are changing.
- Avoid venting. Share your feelings with others in your support system–friends, other adults in your family, or a therapist–but not your children. Don’t put them in the middle of any conflicts you may have related to the separation.
- Be consistent. Establish rules that are implemented in both parents’ homes. Concrete guidelines for things like homework, curfews, bedtimes, and bad behavior will provide stability for your children.
- Develop a shared interest. Having shared experiences with your kids will help build your relationship and establish memories that will last a lifetime.